Oat milk is my favorite homemade milk to make. It takes 5 minutes, there is no prep work, tastes delicious, is super cheap, and is one of the most sustainable options.
You can make oat milk the morning you want to use it and customize its sweetness and flavor to whatever you would like. And let me tell you, it is deliciously creamy.
Makes about 3 cups of milk. Lasts 3-5 days in the fridge. Costs about $0.23 to make (I’m not joking).
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup oats (can be quick, steel cut, old fashioned – take your pick)
- Pinch of salt- to preserve it
- Optional: Splash of sweetener – maple syrup, honey, stevia
- Optional: Cacao nibs for chocolate milk
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. I use a Magic Bullet. It works for everything! Do not soak the oats beforehand!
- Blend for about 30 seconds or until frothy
- Place a nut milk bag (or an old Tshirt, cheesecloth, produce bag) in an empty bowl. pour contents of the blender into milk bag over the bowl.
- Squeeze the remaining milk out of the bag
- Store milk in an airtight container in the fridge- I just use a Mason Jar
That’s it!! You’re done! If you like your milk to be creamier than this, try a lower water to oat ratio. If you want to be thinner do 4:1 water to oats.
If you want to utilize the ground up oats that are left in your bag, you can lay them on a pan and cook them at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour and a half. Blend up the dried bits and use it as oat flour! Add it to homemade granola, cookies, smoothies, etc!
More Meatless Munchy Monday Recipes:
Recipe: Creamy Garlic Avocado Pasta Sauce
Recipe: Turmeric Golden Milk Latte
Recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls